Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A Theory About Those Fundalits

Oh, Jess, your post first made me laugh, and then it got me to thinking. I laughed when you said "Perhaps some wordy theology might tire me." I laughed really hard. I couldn't figure out if you were insulting "wordy theology" or being facetious. Of course, if someone's theology was wordy just for the sake of being wordy, then it would really be boring. Okay, on to the topic at hand...

I was encouraged that you finally gave AGO a chance. I agree as well that this book is one that has forever changed my life. I have a much more optimistic view of the Emergent movement than most. And I have a theory that perhaps you may or may not agree with. My theory is that all of the attacks are based mostly on false premises. I'm sure there are a few marginal "believers" out there who claim that all truth is relative and don't believe the Bible is true and who rebel against tradition just for the sake of rebelling. But that's just it, they are in the margins of a huge movement that is mostly comprised of people just like you and me, people who have been disgruntled or disappointed with the Church because of it's overemphasis on all the wrong things.

In every movement there is always an extreme few who don't define very well the mission or image of the group as a whole. Take for example Al Quaida. (Not sure if I spelled that right.) I know it's not a perfect example of my point, but it's an example that paints vivid pictures in our imaginations.) Not all adherents to the Islamic religion are like the few extremists that lash out in violence against "infidels". Now, I'm not defending the religion, either; I'm just making a point. On a more local level, how about those big-haired, lavishly dressed, wacky preachers on TBN? Some people think that they represent what Christianity is as a whole, when in reality, they only represent a marginalized group. I would venture to guess that some people have rejected Christianity all together due to an impression they received from seeing TBN's version of the religion.

I began to have this theory (the one I began discussing in paragraph 2) when I attempted to read a book by John MacArthur (a man that I am not all too fond of these days). It was called Truth War, or Truth Wars (I can't remember just now what it was). The book starts off with a very compelling philosophical and logical argument for objective truth, which I wholly agreed with. But then it made this leap, and forgive me, but I couldn't help but take it personally; it began to attack the entire emergent movement by saying that adherents to this group do not believe in objective truth. That's when the big question hit me: is there really a war at all? Or is this battle only in the minds of a few radical fundalits (as L'Engle would call them; Brianne, I knew this would make you smile. =) Could it be a battle that only exists because people are afraid of a movement that is simply non-traditional, against the "flow", and a bit radical?

I'll be the first to admit that if I were to have encountered the likes of Bell and McLaren about ten years ago, I would have vehemently considered them to be cohorts of Satan himself. This point brings me to my second theory. Maybe, just maybe folks like MacArthur aren't willing to humbly and objectively study what the emergent movement actually is saying...because they might have to admit that in a few areas of their thinking...that, oh dear...(whispering now) that they've been wrong about one or two things?

When I finally came to that "fork in the road" point in my life, where I had to abandon all that I held to that was false and embark on this new journey that has led me to my current position, I'll have to admit that it was pretty scary. And I was only in my late teens/early twenties! Now imagine with me someone who has lived their ENTIRE life by a few denominational "non-essentials" (but has held them as essential for all), and they find themselves in their sixties or so, and then they encounter this same "fork". I can only imagine how much harder it would be for that person to just "chuck" the old for the new. But me, hey, I've still got my whole life ahead of me with many new adventures and lots of time for thinking and pondering different ideas. I'm not saying this is definitely what I think about people like MacArthur, or about anyone for that matter. I'm just offering a theory. And heaven forbid, I also suspected that this whole "controversy" could simply be yet another money-making venture, because I wholeheartedly believe the battle exists only in a few peoples minds, and the book is selling lots of copies in those circles. Ironically enough, I visited a book store recently and made my way to the "Christian" section (ugh) and they had like the top ten sellers or something. I smiled when I saw titles from Rob Bell, Donald Miller, and Brian McLaren right next to Truth War. I wondered if the publishing companies even realize that one book condemning the other straight to Hell sits right next to the condemned book in the store.

What I really wish would happen, and it is my prayer constantly, is that people who have this false image in their heads would actually listen to someone who feels she is emergent and listen to her heart and hear what she says she believes, not what some fanatics on the Sky Angel network say she believes. Who better to ask what emergents think or feel than an emergent herself? I say this because I want my parents to stop listening to their television and radio programs and start listening to me. They think I am a relativist now. I mean COME ON FOR GOD'S SAKE I SURVIVED RAPINCHUKS APOLOGETICS CLASS and I came out stronger for it! There is no way IN HELL that I could be a relativist! But I can't sink that through their heads. Only the Spirit will be able to do it. And I pray that he does very soon. Until then, I'm up against the likes of Kirk Cameron and Todd Friel. (If you don't know who the latter is, check him out, and try not to get pissed.)

Whew. I got really long winded. Sorry. I'm just so thankful to now have the time and resources to join in with you girls in this very important conversation. Somehow I think God is preparing us for big things to come...

And Jess, may the peace of the Lord be with you so that you can finally get some much needed sleep.

1 comment:

J. M. Richards said...

Oh, Sara. It's things like this that made me want to start this blog in the first place--I LOVE having these conversations with you!

You made me laugh, too, especially the bit about Rapinchuk's class. Could anyone take that class and come out a relativist? Seems doubtful! --And my "wordy theology" comment was less directed at McLaren and more just at the genre of book; yes, being facetious, partly because I am so wordy myself.

I have to say, as I continue in AGO, I really like it, and find that I am stirred by his "vision" for Christianity. Now, I have to add, just because it's the way I am, that I don't 100% agree with everything; but I guess in a way it's nice to hear a new perspective, especially from such a humble, non-condemning, hopeful source.

I like your theory, and I think it has a lot of truth to it. As I said, even in the reviews on these emergent critique books there were people who acknowledged that referencing just the McLarens and Bells of the movement isn't the most comprehensive view.

I sincerely hope, and pray for, and expect that someday more and more of these conversations will take place. And it won't be people abandoning the bible or truth. It will be people taking an honest look at themselves and our country and culture and what we have let christianity become. And I want to contribute to that--but I find myself shying away, keeping my mouth shut in the very places where these conversations could happen, because I'm afraid of being looked at like a heretic.

I remember one time I defended Rob Bell to my 20somethings group. I felt like I had to say, "he's being extreme to make a point," and to show them that he's not the anti-christ, not trying to lead people astray, and that not everyone who reads and likes him is theologically retarded. but they are a group of people our age and younger, who could be part of change and growth, but instead have "fundalit" tendencies, and a hard time reaching out. (By the way, the majority of them went to a school very similar to CofO.)

I pray, and want to continue to pray, for your parents, that they would begin to listen to you. My parents don't necessarily agree with or understand everything I believe, but they trust that I am sincerely seeking and walking with God. I pray that yours would come to the same place. Brianne and I were just saying, "How can they not see how brilliant and thoughtful she is? Don't they know her? Don't they see how God has shaped her?"

Anyway--you're right, it is a scary road to travel, to examine things and be willing to look at them a little differently. I can agree that ten years ago (well, more than that) I would have also been highly alarmed by some of the stuff I embrace today. And yet, I can say without pride that I have been brought here by God. Yes, it has been tricky a times, and challenging, and some things I'm still examining and thinking through. But yes--it would have been all the more difficult had I encountered this later in life when I was more comfortably entrenched. I never thought I'd say this, but thank God for my restless spirit! --For that's how He gets my attention.

If your theory is right, and I'm inclined to think it is, then part of the way we combat this resistance is not by writing more best-sellers. (I do appreciate the irony, though; I once had a similar experience, seeing a Harry Potter display at the end of the Christian aisle at Borders.) It's by doing what the Celts did...it's by living it out and engaging people in conversations. Not arguing our point. It's showing people that we are still (sane!) followers of Jesus. You're right, only the Spirit can change their hearts; but we do our part by loving them. (Mm. I think that was being said to me, not me saying it to you.)

Well, this is a long reply, also, but I am glad you have joined us in the conversation, because I draw so much strength from these times.